There’s nothing better when you eat a meal and feel fully satisfied and light. This rainbow bowl, although packed with a lot of food, does just that.
A rainbow bowl can be as complex or simplistic as you like and it doesn’t have to take long to make either. It gives you the freedom to put whatever you feel like eating into it and can help you empty out the left over veggies in the fridge.
I’ll share with you my favourite combination which is a real winner amongst my family
- a crowd pleaser
- just plain banging
So here it is…
Steph’s Rainbow Bowl
This is what my go to rainbow bowl features…
It features both a homemade hummus and pickled cabbage but if you don’t have the time to make them, bought versions are okay too! I’ve used the Smith & Daughters Pickled Cabbage Recipe and for the hummus check out a recipe here
For this recipe you’ll need
- 2 Handfuls of Baby Spinach
- 1 Capsicum cut into small strips
- 1 Ear of Corn
- 1 Medium sized Sweet Potato chopped into bite sized cubes*
- 1 1/4 Cups of Pumpkin chopped into bite sized cubes*
- Drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt to taste
- 1/2 of an Avocado
- 8 Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 2 Heaped Tbsp of Pickled Cabbage
- 1 Cup of Brown Rice
- 1 Cup of White Quinoa *
- 2 Heaped Tbsp of Hummus
- Large handful of beans, ends removed
*Leaving the skin on the sweet potato and pumpkin will increase nutrition value
* Any type of quinoa will work
Any of the ingredients can be subbed out or swapped depending on what you have in the fridge and what you prefer to eat. That is why I love this meal… it is so versitile.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C or 200 fan-forced
- Half cook the pumpkin and sweet potato in the microwave or steam on the stove. Place the pumpkin and sweet potato on a tray and lightly spray with olive oil and lightly salt. Set aside.
- Begin cooking the brown rice, following the instructions on the packet as well as cooking the quinoa. When both are half way cooked, place the tray of pumpkin and sweet potato in the oven to finish cooking and brown. (Keep in mind that brown rice takes a while to cook and needs more time than quinoa usually)
- Place the ear of corn in the microwave and cook for 2 minutes. Remove corn from cob by cutting it off into a bowl.
- After the corn is completed, steam the broccoli and beans together in the microwave for 4 minutes or steam on the stove until it is cooked but still crunchy.
- With the cooked brown rice and quinoa, combine the two and mix them together. Set Aside
- Remove the roasted pumpkin and sweet potato from the oven and set aside.
*for one serve*
Start plating by scattering 1 handful spinach leaves at the bottom of the plate/bowl you choose to serve from. Next add 1 cup of the brown rice and quinoa mix on top of the bed of spinach. Moving clockwise around the dish, plate the capsicum, sweet potato and pumpkin, cherry tomatoes and corn. Add the broccoli and beans on top. Dollop on the hummus and add the pickled cabbage to the centre. 1/4 of the avocado can be sliced and added or can be made into an avocado rose. The avo must be ripe to make a rose
For a tutorial on an avocado rose, click here
There you have it! Hopefully you’ll love it as much as I do!
Let me know what you think and remember…
Eat all the plants,